The kids are back in school. The temperature has begun to drop. Pumpkin spice is abundant everywhere. These are all signs that Fall is on the way!
As a conscientious home owner you may begin to wonder what you should be doing to prepare your home for the Fall and Winter. Now is the perfect time to take advantage of the cooler weather, tackle some Fall projects and prepare your home for the changing seasons. Here are a few ideas:
- Clean out the gutters and downspouts
- Turn off all external faucets and disconnect hoses
- Store garden hoses in the garage or shed
- Clean and store garden tools
- Prepare the snow blower for winter
- Rake the leaves and trim down the dead foliage
- Hire a licensed chimney sweep to clean the chimney
- Check the carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they work
- Change the batteries in the smoke detectors and test them
- Replace the filter in the furnace
- Check for drafts along doors and windows
- Install weather stripping around doors and windows
If you complete these tasks now, your home may be in good shape for the change of seasons.